Wednesday, March 02, 2011

A Craft to Celebrate Dr. Suess' Birthday

We made this last year...but it was so adorable that I had to pull it out and post again...Looking at how little Nathan is, makes me a tad bit sad.  He looks so much older now.  And this year, he can actually read most of Dr. Suess' books by himself....Wow, time flies and just keeps going, no matter how much I want to bottle it up and preserve it - Dangit!



Yes, we are celebrating Dr. Seuss' birthday today. We read the Cat in the Hat and then Nathan made his own hat. Oh and bonus of the day, we found out that our local library had a "fine free February" because of all the snow. Thank goodness, since we had about 10 books that were due to go back. I'm notorious for owing fees at the library. I think I actually pay their electric bill with just my fines, we're not talking about the kids dues either.


I used poster board to make the hat "stiffer" and red and white construction paper cut into strips; We cut the poster board into a hat shape and also cut out a strip as long as Nathan's head to make the hat band.


Then we glued on the strips


And I trimmed it to fit the hat shape


Then we stapled the long "hat band" strip to fit his head and stapled it to the hat.


Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss! And tell the Cat that he can come back and pick up his hat anytime as long as he brings that nifty cleaning machine with him....


4 comments:

Aimee said...

So stinkin cute I can hardly stand it....little dude and the hat of course!

Shell said...

So cute!

Debbie said...

That is so cute!
My kids received real hats like that for a gift when they were young. They have been hits for years!

Jackie Higgins said...

Great idea to use posterboard. I love how tall it is!!