Thursday, January 14, 2010

I Love When Stuff Like This Happens

The other night as I was taking Anthony and Zachary to basketball practice (Anthony is one of the coaches on Zach's team), Anthony said "I want to learn how to make lasagna." When I asked him why, he said because I want to "expand my cooking capabilities". He can already cook simple easy things like grilled cheese, eggs, sausage, bacon and things like that (all four older kids can do these things). But to hear him say that he wanted to learn how to cook made my heart do flip flops.

I've been pretty lucky with my kids...they will eat just about anything, they get that from Rich (I'm the picky eater). I like to cook and bake and try new things from time to time and it helps when your family gets excited about it. They don't look at it and turn their noses up or say I'm not eating THAT. They gobble it up and ask for more - It's great! It makes me happy.

When I first got married, I couldn't cook worth a crap. Rich likes to say it was like eating rocks, but he ate it anyway, cause he loves me LOL. Then for years I went through my "lazy" stage where I didn't cook anything that didn't come out of a box (and it usually had the word "helper" on said box). Sure there were times that I actually did cook things, but those times were few and far between. I liked cooking when I actually took the time to do it, but it always seemed like such an ordeal that I just didn't like it.

Somewhere along the way I discovered that I actually love cooking. I love creating things with my own two hands. I love the fact that it keeps my mind occupied. I have tons of ideas rolling around bouncing in my head just waiting for the time I let them out. I love the accolades and praise...I eat them up. The other day Rich redeemed himself and said I have turned into an exceptional cook. That comment made my heart explode with pride. Now I'm even more eager to prove that I can do more and become even better...funny, huh?

Tonight I'm teaching my boy how to make manicotti (almost the same thing as the lasagna that he wanted to learn about). I'm beginning to realize that life's too short, not to be doing the things you love to do. Why waste another minute hiding behind fears, or being lazy. Just go for it, at least you know that you tried and did your best in the end. I don't want to get to the end of my life thinking about all the would of's, could of's and should of's. Do you?

No comments: