Friday, August 14, 2009

My Philosophy on School Shopping

I have been reading blogs and facebook statuses where people are talking about school shopping. Mostly, it seems as though people are having to buy school supplies for their classrooms and teachers. I just find that unbelievable and feel really grateful that our school district does not require that of parents. I truly can't imagine having to buy tissues and hand sanitizer for my children's classrooms. How ridiculous! Thank God our school taxes actually get used for what they were intended for.

Now as for my own family and school shopping, I can honestly tell you that I don't buy my kids new clothes for the sole purpose of school shopping. When my kids need clothes or shoes then I buy them. Of course I realize that they might like to have nice new things when school starts, but I don't see the point in it. My thinking is this...kids grow in the summer. It's still hot in August, September and usually October. Therefore, my kids are going to want to wear shorts and tee shirts, not jeans. So, why would I buy new pants for them to wear when I know damn well they won't wear them for at least another three months. And by then, they will more than likely grow out of them.

I do however buy them new backpacks, lunch boxes, tablets, pencils, paper, pens, crayons, markers, glue, etc. I know those are things that they will need and use. They won't sit in a drawer all balled up waiting to be worn when the weather cools. So my philosophy is don't buy the clothes. My kids don't seem to be bothered by this at all. They understand my thinking and they know that I'm right about them not wearing the clothes right away anyway. They also know that when they need something they will get it, so for them they don't think that the only time they get new clothes or shoes is for school, Christmas or birthdays.

I always get asked how do we manage to go school shopping for 5 (in another year it'll be 6) kids and that's my answer.....so now you know too. Ask me again at Christmas, how we manage that one hahaha!

No comments: